PC Pilots Ireland
April 19, 2014, 12:55:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Browser opening on second monitor...  (Read 1362 times)
Ken Hall
« on: October 07, 2008, 11:09:03 AM »

A poser for the techie guys amongst us Huh

I am using XP-Home/SP2; Firefox-3.

When I open Firefox, sometimes (quite often) it will open up NOT on my main monitor but onto the second monitor which may or may not be switched ON Sad

I only stumbled onto this by accident when after trying to open the browser and seeing nothing - although the Firefox logo appeared in the Task Bar. Clicking on the FF logo in the task bar (I eventually noticed Sad) was sending the logo zipping across the screen in  a North-Easterly direction and disappearing!!!

Only then did I try switching on the second monitor and find FF sitting there.

My main monitor is connected to the nVidia 6600GT - the second monitor (used for FSC moving map in FS) is connected to the PCI nVidia 6200 card.

Is there a way to ensure that FF opens ONLY on the 6600card/main monitor Huh
I do not see anything obvious in the nVidia control window OR in FF Tools, Options etc.

It is not a major issue - just irritating and unnecessary Sad
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 11:11:01 AM by Ken Hall » Logged
George D. Markham

Email
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 10:42:51 AM »

Hi Ken.
I have found that if I leave FSC on my Secondary Monitor without moving it back to my Primary Monitor before closing it down, it will automatically reappear on the 2nd Monitor when I come back to use it another day. Windows seems to remember my original wishes. I do not think that you use Firefox on your 2nd Monitor and if this is so, then something has upset Firefox to make it want to appear, sometimes, on your 2nd Monitor. The only solution that I can think of in an attempt to hopefully rectify the problem and trick Windows into fixing it, is to return to a single Monitor setup by unticking "Extend the desktop onto this monitor" in Display Settings. Later, when you require your 2nd Monitor for FSC, you can tcik the aforementioned again.
Perhaps, Capt Pat may be able to offer another solution as he is one of our experts on Multiple Monitor setups.
All the best,    George.
btrjet
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 12:36:48 PM »

Perhaps, Capt Pat may be able to offer another solution as he is one of our experts on Multiple Monitor setups.
All the best,    George.

Nope. I certainly couldn't improve on those suggestions made by "Uncle" George  Wink which are typical methods of overcoming this problem.

I assume you have the main monitor displayed as "Primary Monitor" in your settings.

Pat
Ken Hall
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 09:13:48 AM »

All the best,    George.

Nope. I certainly couldn't improve on those suggestions made by "Uncle" George  Wink which are typical methods of overcoming this problem.

I assume you have the main monitor displayed as "Primary Monitor" in your settings.

Pat

Pat, George............

yes I have my main monitor set to "Primary".

I have just done what George suggested - "unticking extend to desktop" - that works a treat!!!

The most obvious - of course!!!!!!!!!

I do very often use the second monitor to port out some item to view while I respond/think about a task in hand. E.g. looking at a panel.cfg file while making adjustments here and there. A very useful facility to have.
I always drag the pages back to the main monitor before shutting down the item being viewed but that does not always give the end result I require. Sometimes the browser opens up on the main screen and sometimes not. Its the same with things like PPS files and video!!!
Remember, some time back I thought I was unable to open such files.................
..........they were opening but on the (not switched on!) second monitor!
Took me a while to work that one out!!!!

Yours faithfully,
Private Pike!!

p.s. Ken says thanks!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: